/** Google Analytics script below */ /** end Google Analytics script */

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Rediscovering the joy of Hardanger, and a public service message

Thanks for all of the votes on projects from my last post. I decided to pick up my original Hardanger design.

I have always subscribed to the Janice Love method of stitching Hardanger "in hand" rather than on a frame. Due to my carpal tunnel syndrome, I can't tell you the last time I was able to spend more than about 15 minutes in any given week working in hand.

Thank goodness for modern medicine!

For the first time in years, I have been able to comfortably stitch away on my Hardanger. I had forgotten how enjoyable it could be. I've gotten a bit out of practice, so my tension isn't as good as it once was, but it's so amazing to be able to do needleweaving without waiting for the onset of pain.

I haven't made a great deal of progress, so no picture today, but I just wanted to pass the message on.

If you're experiencing the pain and/or numbness of carpal tunnel syndrome and have tried non-surgical treatment without improvement and if these symptoms are keeping you from enjoying your stitching, please do consider surgery.

I put it off for much, much too long. Fortunately I didn't end up with any permanent nerve damage, but I did need to set aside many enjoyable techniques, including Hardanger, off-loom beading, and shuttle tatting.

Take care of yourselves, everybody, so you can enjoy your stitching (and the rest of your life!) to the fullest!

No comments: