/** Google Analytics script below */ /** end Google Analytics script */

Saturday, October 11, 2008

Blog catch-up, and other news

While I haven't been blogging much lately, I have been stitching, and, unfortunately for my pile of WIPs, planning to start new things.

First, an update on the Tudor Purse: I was making good progress on this, when it became apparent that the "scooping" motion of the Ceylon stitch was starting to aggravate the carpal tunnel in my right wrist. So, while this piece isn't very big, I've put it down for a bit. I'll have to work on it only a bit at a time.



When I put the purse down, I decided I hadn't done much sampler/linen work lately, and that was calling to me. Of course, instead of picking up Catherine Theron's Examplar IV, which is much further along, I dug out Martha Wilkins from The Scarlet Letter. I last worked on this piece back in December, and it was still in the same state as in the photo in this post. As you can see, this week I finished another band of lettering and almost the entire next band. At this rate, I might be done in the next 10 years! :-P

On Wednesday, I attended our local ANG meeting. I didn't really feel like working on notebook stitch samples with the rest of the group, so I started the outreach project that was announced last month. We're stitching heart-shaped ornaments with a centerpiece of a cancer ribbon. I can't remember the details, but we're donating these for some cause or another. (And I know MIL is cringing as she reads this since she's the outreach chair!) Anyway, I'm doing a purple ribbon for pancreatic cancer, in memory of my two grandparents whom I lost to this fast-acting disease.

I wanted the center ribbon to stand out, so I did it in detached buttonhole with a heavy thread, in this case Shepherd's Wool from the Thread Gatherer. Apparently this thread is no longer being made, since it's not listed on TG's website. I received this skein in a grab bag a few months ago, and thought it was perfect for this! The background is a couched stitch, specifically Aristeia couching (diagrammed in SuZy's Lite Stitches, one of the books I picked up at seminar), with a Brazilian embroidery rayon thread as the couched thread, and 4 strands of floss as the couching thread. I thought this would work up faster than trying to fill the entire background with stitching, and so far it has. I've only worked on this at the meeting Wednesday night and at our Thursday night LNS stitch-in. I hope to finish it this weekend.

I have a few upcoming projects, too. Tomorrow, I'm attending a class for a Bargello needlecase. Since our EGA chapter is hosting the region meeting today (though I'm not going), we decided to take advantage of the opportunity to have one of the visiting ladies stay for an extra night and teach this lovely project. One of the chapter members had taken the class from her in the past, and it's lovely. Today I need to rummage in my stash to find fabric and threads for it.

Carolyn Mitchell is visiting our LNS for a 2-1/2 day class in the middle of November, and I've signed up for this class, too. She's teaching a canvas piece called My Way, which looks like a six-patch quilt design. We need to have the borders laid out as prework, and from what I've heard, this is fairly time intensive. I've got my color scheme picked out (see the collection of threads I brought home from seminar), but I'm waiting for a pair of Evertite stretcher bars to show up in the mail. They were shipped over a week ago, but the USPS website only shows them as being received into the mail stream. Goodness knows where they might be now!

Lastly (I think), I need to get started on Luan Callery's Summer Dream, an EGA GCC that some in my chapter are doing in conjunction with the Buffalo chapter. It's due in January. I've been following Pat's progress on this same piece, and I'm looking forward to it!

In other news, I believe I did mention that I had received my pieces (and ribbons!) back from the ANG seminar exhibit. Also in the package was a little card telling me to call the Boehm porcelain factory, because they had the rose that was part of the Princess Grace award. I made that call, and this week the package arrived. The box was huge - and full of foam peanuts! Inside the box was another box, with more peanuts. I finally found the porcelain rose taped to the bottom of the inside box, and I understood the need for the extensive packing. The petals are amazingly delicate. Here's a picture of my stitched Lilacs, its ribbons, and the rose.

And last, but the most important news of all (now that I've finally told everyone locally who might be reading this blog). I've got another work in progress: 19 weeks along, 21 to go. Yes, I'm expecting(!), due the first week of March. This is our first, and DH and I are very excited. No, we don't know if "The Kid" (shortened to "TK") is a boy or a girl, and we're planning to be surprised! This news is the main reason I'm taking classes now, because I know I won't be able to for a while. :-) I'm sure finding the time to finish any of these pieces is sure to become difficult though! :-P

12 comments:

MeganH said...

Congratulations (on TK) :-) :-)

Anonymous said...

Oooh, ooh, ooh... the BEST WIP I know of! What wonderful news, Jeanne, how exciting. I am so pleased for the two if you, and for TK as well, of course.
Jcoelyn

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I suggest lots of stitching over the next few months as there may not be much time or energy for a while after the main event.

Your stitching is beautiful and that award was well deserved. Congratulations due on that too!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Jeanne!! Lovely news!!

That Rose is splendid! So delicate.

I just love seeing your WIPs everything is so pretty.

Edy said...

My, my you've been busy! Again, congratulations to you, DH, AND MIL on TK. And please tell MIL that Edy says "Hello"

Edy

Beth in IL said...

Congratulations on the baby news! And on the ANG awards.

Anonymous said...

Well now that the news is out I just want to let the world know MIL is sooooo excited and counting the weeks as well. I am anxious to see the rose in person. It looks beautiful from the picture. No I did not cringe, the hearts go to a cancer center for their discression of use.
MIL - Grandma

NCPat said...

Congratulations on the award and the new bundle of joy!! You should be very proud on both counts!!

Joanie R. said...

Congratulations Jeanne...this is a wonderful time for you and your husband. Have a happy healthy pregnancy.

Joanie R.

Anonymous said...

Jeanne, your work is beautiful...congrats on the ribbons (and the rose - wow!) and bigger congrats on TK! Wonderful news! Karen

Cyn said...

Hi Jeanne,

Congratulations on the future addition to your family!

And yes, you better take classes now because it's much harder later. :-)

The ribbons and the rose are gorgeous!

Cynthia
Windy Meadow

Anonymous said...

Again, CONGRATS on TK!
And on the ribbons/rose you were awarded at ANG. Hooray!

Lynn in southern NJ; CyberStitchers EGA (we sat together at lunch on Monday at EGA Seminar)